Saturday, April 12, 2014

My Korean Language Class Experience at Korean Cultural Center in the Philippines






To start with, I am a huge fan of Korean Dramas from Winter Sonata to Full House until now. I guess my fascinations with Korean Drama’s influence me into learning their language. I remember 5-6 years ago I started learning the language through self study I bought countless of books and asked some Korean friends and my cousin who’s base in Korea. Until early late last year I was like; I wanted to do something, I want to learn something “new” in life because my life is all about work, house, church on Sunday, family and friends. But my friends were having life of their own too. Some are happily married and some are going back to school and the idea of going back to school sink in, but I can’t go back to schooling like the normal college student. And so I thought why not pursue my long overdue Korean language self studies? Why not enroll in Korean school where I can interact with native Korean teacher? And so I asked my co-worker Rose Antonio or B-1 as I fondly called her, where her best-friend studied Korean language then, and she said it’s at KCCP or KoreanCultural Center in the Philippines. I check KCC’s schedule and bingo!, before 2013 formally ends I made sure that January 3, 2014 is in my schedule. I need to go online and registered my slot for Korean language online application.



On that day I registered my name for Basic Korean and Elementary-1. Then I found out that Basic Korean is for student with no background in Korean language and I’m like “ehh I know a little of Korean na eh why enroll it pa right?” (Yabang ko eh no! hehe) and so I took up Elementary 1. 


January 13, 2014 our first day of school start we were 31 students then. I was feeling so nervous when we started because I think I’m the only one in the class who don’t know how to read the Hangul Alphabet. I was like OMG!!! Feeling so awkward! I don’t know what the hell was going on. And I was kinda boastful pa about not taking Basic Korean ha!ha!ha! Yeah I did study Korean but not the Hangul alphabet more on basic daily conversation and a few Korean vocabularies. 

Hangul or Korean Alphabet 

I was telling my family and co worker I’m going to quit Korean elementary 1 it is too advanced for me. I should have taken Basic Korean then. Haha But then they encourage me to continue taking it and enjoy every lesson.

As the weeks goes by I found out that learning a new foreign language is never been easy. It is a long and slow process that takes a lot of time, effort and patience. And KOREAN is one of the hardest language to learn. It is also considered to be one of the most efficient alphabets in the world and has garnered unanimous praise from language experts for its scientific design and excellence. Hangul was created under King Sejong of Joseon Dynasty (1932-1910). The creation of Korean Alphabet was truly a remarkable accomplishment. Creating consonants based on a person’s speech organs and vowels based on the shapes of the sky, land, and man was truly a revolutionary and unprecedented process. They adhered to the principle that human sounds and all universal phenomena are all based on Yin-Yang (positive-negative) and Ohaeng (the primary elements; metal, wood, water, fire and earth). Because of my Korean fascination I end up naming one of our recent Accessories Collection for Beatriz . I named it YIN-YANG Viaje Del Sol, a tassel necklace with agate stones in brass dipped in 24K gold.

Learning Korean is so hard but what it makes it worth it and fun are my classmates and my uber patient, understanding and pretty Teacher Shin Dawon. Ending this class with so many lessons learned not just the language, tradition and culture but to each and everyone I meet at KCC especially the ones I become close with and the annoying classmate as we fondly call him. hehehe. I will forever treasure all the fun I had with them. The gossips, our dine outs, and our group talks inside or outside the classroom.

I am happy and proud to myself ending this journey. I may not be the lucky six who passed this course but what’s important for me is that in the end of this class I know how to say 안녕하세요 ha!ha!ha just kidding , I know now how to read, write and speak a little in Korean. I learned lot of new Korean vocabularies that are useful, and learning the informal and formal forms of Korean grammar which is very important to know.

Elementary Korean 1 is an intensive course that runs for eleven weeks, with a total of 72 hours. The course aims to improve the students understanding of basic Korean grammar, vocabulary and Korean culture. Four critical skills such as reading, listening, writing and speaking will be integrated in each session. For those who are interested in learning Korean Language you can check Korean Cultural Center in the Philippines website and facebook page. 

Sharing you some photos of my Elementary-1C class.





My reward!!! :) 

"I've learned that good-byes will always hurt, pictures will never replace having been there, memories good and bad will bring tears, and words can never replace feelings. Missing my Teacher and Classmates the most in this experience"-Tine Cordero




Before you go: please share this blog on FacebookRT on Twitter. Follow me on FacebookInstagramPinterest and Twitter. Subscribe to receive email updates. Thank you for your support!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience! I am planning to study the basic as well. :) do they have exams end of the class??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do conduct exams at the end of the class. They have listening, writing, speaking exams. :)

      Delete
  2. I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business. Watch Korean websites

    ReplyDelete